Monday, February 7, 2011

Feb. 8 2011

Welcome to my blog and daily devotional site. I hope that you will enjoy reading and participating with us as we venture into new areas of ministry and faith. For the next several days we will be looking at two major sections of Scripture. The Old Testament book of JOB and the New Testament book of Hebrews. I encourage you to read them through, a couple of times during the next month.
(Job 1:1) "Many years ago, a man named Job lived in the land of Uz. He was a truly good person, who respected God and refused to do evil." (Contemporary English Version)
The Book of Job starts in an unusual manner and with a very unique statement regarding the man Job. The unusual manner is with the pithy statement that sounds like a children's book, more than a sacred text. Kind of like the ol' "A long time ago, in a far away land...". But there is very little that is childish about this book and its introduction. We will be faced with a variety of perplexing and striking statements throughout the pages. The first is the unique statement that, "Job was a truly good person, who refused to do evil." Can that be truly said of any of us? Is he without sin? With those questions I encourage you to begin to interact with me on this blog.
In the mean time, let's spend an intimate moment with God on this verse. I see a couple of things that encourage my heart and hopefully yours.
  • It matters to God about the "where" and "when" and "who" of us. It matters enough that we see Him including this information about Job in the first verse of the book; which actually has more to do with who God is than, who Job is! (More on that later)
  • Secondly, I find it interesting to notice that God notices the "righteousness and goodness" (whatever degree that is a reality) of Job and He is not afraid to state it outright. Have you ever thought that God was keeping track of your "goodness" rather than your "badness". If God keeps lists at all, what kind do you think He keeps?
Dear Heavenly Father,
I must admit that initially I would be very afraid, if you kept lists. But I am finding that maybe you are not at all like me, and when you keep lists, you keep them for the good and better of someone rather than the worst. After all, if you love us, should it surprise us that you remember the things in us that you created for your delight? I am humbled and thankful for your loving character. Amen

No comments:

A little plug for Horizon University and going to Bible College.  https://www.calvarychapelmagazine.org/heartland20221115/